Director of Communications
Plans, coordinates, manages, and directs the City’s communications, media relations, and public relations functions; serves as City spokesperson and liaison; directs or coordinates intergovernmental relations with local, regional, state and federal agencies and City consultants, state legislative programs, congressional initiatives, provides oversight for special project teams; and supervises assigned personnel and/or contractors.
- Pro-actively communicates the City mission, message, goals and activities to its citizens and to its employees.
- Serves as the liaison between the City and the news media, including the preparation of news releases, organizing media conferences, responding to media inquiries, coordinating interviews, and training other staff in working with the media.
- Responsible for effective and innovative utilization and management of City social media outlets.
- Coordinates with Information Technology department to manage the City’s website to ensure it is an effective method of communication.
- Responsible for managing and/or developing website content.
- Explore and implement new and innovative methods of communicating information.
- Drafts, edits, and publishes various types of specialized documents including correspondence, presentations, speeches, testimony, and proclamations; assists with budget documents and presentations.
- Supervises Communications Department staff.
- Designs and develops written communication tools such as brochures, publications, letters, and promotional pieces. Creates print, video, electronic, web, and other content for City information outlets.
- Serves as a resource for city departments in their marketing and communications efforts.
- Assists in the coordination of special city-wide events and city employee events.
- Manages and coordinates special projects including City-wide branding.
- Supervises the preparation of the weekly Employee E-Newsletter.
- Supervises the preparation of the monthly Employee Newsletter.
- Coordinates every aspect of the City 101 Citizens Academy.
- Provides photography and videography services for City Council and City-sponsored events.
- Compiles weekly media reports. Oversees inventory and property management.
- Manages the budget within the department. Performs other job-related duties as assigned.