Publicist - Recreation Specialist (Regular Part-time)
Salary: $29.00 – 31.25 per hour (35 hours per week)
Responsible for researching, evaluating, creating, coordinating and implementing communications strategy in connection with a variety of department-related issues and programs including department’s community or special events (includes Human Services, Library, Recreation & Parks, and Administrative Support Divisions). Formulate diverse materials into written press releases; submit press releases to local, regional and national media outlets; work with members of the media; curate departmental web pages; coordinate departmental social media; set and implement departmental internal and external communications strategy; develop marketing plans and collateral; edit departmental publications; write reports and speaking points for City staff and officials; photograph events.
- Researches, evaluates, coordinates and implements communications strategy on a variety of department-related issues or programs, including community and/or special events. Sets and implements internal and external communications strategy.
- Works with the Department’s staff on the publicity of various programs, events and issues.
- Formulates diverse materials into written press releases, feature suggestions, calendar listings, news alerts, etc. Creates and distributes Department’s Newsletter (if applicable). Curates content and look of departmental web pages.
- Submits press releases, photo submissions, and article pitches to local, regional and national media outlets.
- Serves as department liaison to all media sources including magazines, newspapers, radio and television. Serves as a department liaison to the City’s communications office, the Chamber of Commerce and the Conference & Visitor’s Bureau. Coordinates departmental social media.
- Works with the City's own cable news channel to produce content and publicize events.
- Maintains an accurate file of program clips from written and televised features, listings, news segments, etc.
- Photographs events. Maintains department photo library.
- Takes lead role in department entry of awards programs and contests.
- Provides creative input and/or develops and creates: departmental marketing and publicity campaigns, department entry of awards programs and contests, and other related collateral.
- Writes reports and speaking points for City staff and officials.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field preferred. Master’s degree in policy, marketing, communications or writing encouraged.
- Minimum of three years’ experience as a publicist or staff writer, or any combination of related education and experience.
Work Hours: 35 hours per week
Application Deadline: Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 5:00 PM. Online applications only.
Complete details can be found in the Member Services area of the 3CMA Website.