Job Posting - Media Relations Specialist
Min USD $53,540.00/Yr. | Mid USD $68,412.00/Yr.
Post End Date 12/17/2014
Experience Level Senior
More information about this job:
In a fast-paced, results-oriented environment, the primary role of the Communications Department is to provide internal and external communications support and consulting in support of Clerk & Comptroller’s diverse direct-service operations. Activities are focused on increasing public awareness of the office’s role and relevance; positioning the office as a world-class leader in customer service, employee satisfaction and standards of excellence and facilitating open communication with employees, stakeholders and the media.
We are seeking a Media Relations Specialist that will be responsible for the effective of use of media and social media communications to increase the frequency and reach of important information to various target audiences, including customers, media, community leaders, legislators, other government officials, and employees.
For those candidates who qualify, the Clerk & Comptroller’s office offers an excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, life and disability plans plus participation in the state retirement plan.
Role of the Position:
The successful candidate will be assigned to the media communications department within our organization and will perform the essential functions as outlined above, as well as perform the following functions:
- Researches, writes, and edits materials to be released externally to the media and public.
- Proactively identifies and seizes opportunities for building understanding, interest and awareness of Clerk & Comptroller services, initiatives and other information that benefits the public.
- Participates in proactive media outreach, reporting newsworthy activities and functions to the public/media; disseminates information to the media and general public.
- Ensures consistency and accuracy in communications and creates communications that are in alignment with Clerk & Comptroller’s strategic direction, vision, mission and values.
- Writes copy for print, broadcast and interactive media; drafts media releases, executive messages and speeches; ensures pertinent, accurate information provided; updates copy and scripts as needed.
- Identifies and applies best practices for external communications, media, and social media; maintains an awareness of new products, technologies, trends, and advances in the profession; reads professional manuals and publications; attends meetings, conferences, workshops, and training sessions as appropriate
- Communicates with management, media, other departments, technical personnel, the public, outside agencies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Develops a strategic vision for extending the Clerk & Comptroller’s public education effort which incorporates social media, and other new technologies.
- Leads content development; produces daily communication messages that build the public’s confidence in the Clerk & Comptroller’s accountability in terms of its role as a protector of public records and funds.
- Participates, coordinates and assists with special projects and tasks as needed.
The Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate will play a key role in the communications department and also enjoy the experience of being a part of a large governmental agency or public relations organizations along with the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Speech, Public Relations or related field.
- Supplemented by a minimum of five (5) years of recent, relevant experience, with three (3) being in local Palm Beach County media relations, public affairs, press office or government/public information.
- Experience with social media outlets, communications campaign planning and execution, crisis communications, research, benchmarking and measurement of communications effectiveness are required; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Upon further consideration, each candidate will be required to provide samples of independent work product (written communications) to advance to the next stage of the selection process
Salary stated above is annual and based on qualifications
Note: Vacancy postings may be cancelled at any time based on business needs. Applicants who have applied will be notified of cancellations.
Complete details can be found in the Member Services area of the 3CMA Website.