Job Opening - Communication Specialist
SALARY: $40,217.32 - $50,000.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 10/03/14
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Join the City Communication & Public Engagement team and use your skills to convey complex issues, public safety information, events and concepts through traditional and social media channels. Maintain and provide leadership for robust and engaging communication programs. Advise staff in different departments on strategic communications and ways the City can be positively positioned and portrayed in traditional and social media. Work with departments to provide communications that reflect a well coordinated organizational message through the use of both traditional and emerging communication tools.
An employee in this class performs work that involves assisting the Communication & Public Engagement Director in developing and administering a program of internal and external communications for the City. Work involves preparing content for social media sites, preparing press releases, advising departmental directors and other staff on strategic communications and ways the city can be positively positioned and portrayed in traditional and social media. Employee must exercise initiative, imagination and independent judgment to develop and implement programs. Work requires contact with media representatives, department staff and the general public. Work is performed under general supervision of the Communication & Public Engagement Director and department heads as assigned and is evaluated based on the recognized success of communications programs.
Essential Job Junctions
- Assists with programs of public relations including the dissemination of press releases, specific materials, statements, information, etc.
- Assists with planning and developing programs to ensure dissemination of information designed to keep City departments and the community informed of City programs, services, activities, features, accomplishments or position.
- Plans and implements opportunities for written or technology based community input.
- Confers with various City personnel to discern pertinent information for presentation to media or public; writes, edits and coordinates dissemination of information in the form of social media postings, graphics, reports, advertisements, news releases, pamphlets, brochures, newsletters, or similar material; edits written material prepared by City personnel for public dissemination.
- Coordinates answers to inquiries from the general public in social media sites by providing information based on detailed knowledge of City programs and activities and as required by state open records laws; may refer inquiries to the proper City officials.
- Conducts simple and in-depth research as necessary to support communications projects; gathers and analyzes statistical, historical, financial and other data through the examination of various publications, literature or other documentation, interviews and surveys of expert sources.
- Assists with training City personnel in proper media relation techniques and associated City policies and procedures.
Complete details can be found in the Member Services area of the 3CMA Website.